Hindi Medium?

 Hindi Medium?

- By Daiemah Malik


I stand in midst of a Chawl,

People ready to kill for a rigged shawl.

But from where I come from: they want to beat,

The elite.

Where education is an industry;

yet another capitalist mystery.

Yes, I live in a land where you are considered a freak;

If the colonizer’s tongue is what you don’t speak.

For some, poverty is a mere concept that needs to be explained,

For others, a harsh reality that is engraved.


They say they’ll soon find a new world to extort:

But standing here, I see the fall of multiple worlds at different rates of course.

The first world has a grand view from the manor in Vasant Vihar;

But that was never all glamorous dresses and pricy tags were indeed the ‘need’,

The second world is the fight of the fittest to serve none but the mall;

But here in this third world of Bharat Nagar their lives and breeds disease, hunger and hope.

Here, People strive for water;

They work endless hours for feeding their newborn;

Just so we encroach their future in want of our pricy tags

How is it so different after all?

Who is to blame?

The poor; the elite or the ones who proclaimed they‘ll put an end to all?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The cons of conflict

End your blame game or yourself, choice is yours.